Federal Employees

Following the death of a federal employee. retiree or survivor it is important to contact the appropriate parry for application forms and assistance in determining benefit eligibility. You should contact the agency where the deceased was employed if the individual was a current federal government employee. Contact the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) regarding the death of federal retirees, former employees or spouses and/or children receiving a survivor benefit. This includes benefits paid under both the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS).

You may contact a PM in writing at:

Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center

P.O. Box 45 Boyers, PA 16017-0001
By Telephone at: 202-606-0500 or 888-767-6738

OPM will provide the proper claim forms if the deceased was covered under the Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI). Properly completed claim forms and a certified copy of the death certificate should be mailed to:Or by faxing a copy of the death certificate and a cover letter including the name of deceased, retirement number, date of birth, social security number and the name, address and telephone number of the survivor to send application forms to: 412-794-1263

Office of Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance
4 East 24th Street, New York, NY 10010

Payments made after death/un-cashed checks

All money due to the retiree at the date of death will be paid to eligible survivors but it is important to know that the Treasury Department will recover any payments made in the name of the deceased that are paid or negotiated after the date of death.

Direct Deposit

Please notify the financial institution where benefits are deposited. Do not remove or spend funds paid to the decedent's account. When funds have been deposited into an account allow Treasury to take recovery action on their own. Do not attempt to make direct repayment to Treasury. Such action may result in monies involved being collected twice.

Annuity Checks

Return any un-cashed retirement checks payable to the deceased that are received dated after the payee's death. Such checks are not negotiable. The Treasury Department will recover monies from such checks that are cashed or deposited from the financial institution. The financial institution will, in turn, recover from the negotiator of the check(s). Return checks to:

Director, Disbursing Center
U.S. Treasury Department

P.O. Box 8670 Chicago, IL 60680

When the recovery action taken by the Treasury Department does not recover all funds paid after death, the negotiator of the check(s) or the estate will be billed for any remaining overpayment.

Our beautiful facilities are the perfect place to hold meaningful celebrations.

Our Locations

Bethesda-Chevy Chase, Inc.
7557 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: (301) 652-2200
Fax: (301) 656-2210
Map & Directions

Rockville, Inc.
300 W. Montgomery Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: (301) 762-3939
Fax: (301) 217-0377
Map & Directions

Serving the Communities of:

Bethesda, Rockville, Gaithersburg,
Washington D.C., Potomac,
Kensington, Chevy Chase,
Germantown, and all of
Montgomery County, Maryland.

© Robert A. Pumphrey Funeral Homes
Crafted with care by Frazer Consultants & TA

Privacy Policy & Terms of Use | Accessibility